Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Wait Is Killer

We're playing catch up but don't worry, we'll get there soon enough. After that dreaded sentence, "I'm going to refer you to a Neurologist, sounds like you have MS..." I really didn't feel much. I didn't think anything of it. Well, that's not true. I thought, I don't have MS! That's crazy. Then I thought, "what the hell is MS?" So I did what any of us curious mid 20-something's do, I googled.

I came across a lot of informative sites but the gist of it is, Multiple Sclerosis is a complex disease of the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves) characterized by relapses, remissions and often progression of disability over time. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? Of course not. That's the fancy definition, the one that sticks in my mind most, MS is a chronic, debilitating disease that has no cure and doesn't effect the quantity of life but the quality.

The (possible) news was received a few days before the Hubs was scheduled for a 2 week course halfway across the US. Before he left, I was fine. After he left, I put my finger's to the keys and researched until my hands were sore. I was comparing my life and my newly discovered symptoms to those of MS. Who knew, all these silly things that happen to me on the daily are actually related to something. Huh!

Within a few days, I had a list of about 20 symptoms I currently have or have had at one time that are related to MS. A painful revelation. I take this information with a grain of salt. I have also learned during my research that MS is very difficult to diagnose. So, I'll wait for all my appointments and tests and we'll go from there. I'll get one opinion and then another and depending on how I feel about Doc number two, maybe a third.

No comments: