Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Some Results, More to Come

I saw my Doc last Friday and got results to my EEG, EMG, MRI (partially) and Labs.

The Results...

Labs:

I have High Cholesterol - This was a big surprise.
I DO NOT have Lyme Disease or Lupus.
My Kidney's and everything else are fine.
Low B-12 levels.

EEG:

Confirms I am having seizures lasting about 7-8 seconds. Doc say's it could be related to Epilepsy but she wants to view my brain scans first. I didn't know I was having seizures and am wondering if all the times during the day that I'm experiencing blurred vision, if that's a "symptom" of the seizure. Something to ask the Doc on my next visit.

EMG:

Confirmed I have Carpel Tunnel in both wrist (knew I had it in one). She also said I appear to have the beginning or Peripheral Nerve Damage. She did the EMG for the tingling in my finger tips and hands. I also have tingling in my toes but she only did the upper body EMG.

Brain MRI:

Results unknown. She told me (at the appointment) to bring in my scans so she could view them. I assumed that the Doc who ordered my Brain MRI would automatically get a copy of the scans from the imaging center but I was wrong. I dropped off a copy to her this past Monday and am just waiting to hear back. She did read the Radiologist Report while I was in her office and repeated that there was a 7x9mm spot on my brain but she didn't want to say much more until she looked at the scans.

She told me what I needed to do to get my cholesterol down which is no problem. She also said I needed to start coming in for B-12 shots. My B-12 levels were severly low. And to start taking a daily multi vitamin like Women's One-A-Day. The last time I took a daily vitamin it was in the shape of the Flintstones. Yabba-Dabba-Do!!!

Educational Portion:

B-12 - You need B12 to make red blood cells, which carry oxygen through your body. Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired. This explains a few of the symptoms that I'm having but no where near the 19 I have listed.

Peripheral Nerve Damage - Or Peripheral Neuropathy, in its most common form, causes pain and numbness in your hands and feet. The pain typically is described as tingling or burning, while the loss of sensation often is compared to the feeling of wearing a thin stocking or glove. Peripheral neuropathy can result from such problems as traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems and exposure to toxins. One of the most common causes of the disorder is diabetes.

Your nervous system is divided into two broad categories. Your central nervous system consists of your brain and spinal cord. All the other nerves in your body are part of your peripheral nervous system. Many of the symptoms that are common to Peripheral Nerve Damage are also common in MS. Now of course, I think I would prefer to have the PND but this does not (unfortunately) rule out MS.

Epilepsy - Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which clusters of nerve cells, or neurons, in the brain sometimes signal abnormally. Neurons normally generate electrochemical impulses that act on other neurons, glands, and muscles to produce human thoughts, feelings, and actions. In epilepsy, the normal pattern of neuronal activity becomes disturbed, causing strange sensations, emotions, and behavior, or sometimes convulsions, muscle spasms, and loss of consciousness. During a seizure, neurons may fire as many as 500 times a second, much faster than normal. In some people, this happens only occasionally; for others, it may happen up to hundreds of times a day. Another question for my doc, how many times a day am I having these seizures? This was the thing that was on my head for 3 days, remember? I didn't know I was having them so obviously I am not experiencing any major changes or sensations when I do have one. And my neurons where calculated at firing 9 times a second.

Sources: http://webmd.com/, http://www.mayoclinic.com/, http://www.medicinenet.com/

Well, that concludes our class for today folks. Going in for my B-12 tomorrow and will see if the Doc is ready to talk to me regarding my scans.

No comments: