Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Frustration, Disappointment & Sadness

There's a new bill that was signed into law on August 14, 2008 by our wonderful President, George Bush. Can you see the eye roll? It's called the Consumer Product Commission Improvement Act and it takes effect on February 10, 2009, now being dubbed National Bankruptcy Day.

It'll require all products intended for children 12 years and under and made by all manufacturers, big and small, to be tested for lead. Every single component must be tested individually. Thread, buttons, fabric, snaps, zippers, every single piece of the puzzle.

I want to emphasize that, as you all know, I am a parent as well and I care very much about the safety of my children and all children who use my products. I welcome measures to further insure the safety of our children against the threat of lead, however such measures are only effective if they target the real risks.

It's killing me to think that everything I've worked so hard for is going to come to an end so abruptly. And unfortunately, it's happening to all the small businesses that sell baby/children's items. And it's happening to you too! They're projecting a 50% cost increase to consumers on products from companies that were able to survive the testing fee's. This includes ALL items intended for children. Cribs, slings, high chairs, cradles, apparel, shoes, and so much more.

This is a recent discovery for me and I still have a lot of reading to do to see exactly where I lie come February 10, 2009. As of right now, all my thoughts are bad and I don't see The Pitter Patter Boutique surviving this law. To read more about this law or to sign a petition, please view the links below.

More information:

Petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/e...SIA/index.html
About the bill: http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/legislation.html
Read more about what's being dubbed National Bankruptcy Day here: http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

5 comments:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Maybe the small business owners of children's products should request a bailout!!! Again, I am so sorry!

Katie said...

I just found out about this piece of legislation today and I am SO upset. I hope your Pitter Patter Boutique survives!

I loved your comment about my music post! It was a wonderful addition to my comments section :)

Farrah said...

How would we even test the products? Shouldn't the companies that make the products (ie: the fabric producers, etc...) test their products? Why would fabric and thread have lead in it? This is so frustrating to me!!!
If it is a baby carrier does that apply too? I am sure it does. What in the world!! I don't even know how to proceed from here!!!

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

I am guessing you have seen this article but thought I would share just in case you haven't: http://www.5minutesformom.com/5127/cpsia/

Anonymous said...

Maybe there is a clause for homemade items, especially for SBO's like you. I mean, unless you are buying from Hong Kong or actually dipping your products in lead, you should be okay, as well as other SBOs, right?? Jeez. :(